Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reusing...

A celluloid flower clip on earring given new life with
 flat plates of jasper gleamed from an old stretch bracelet.
I make a lot of my jewelry from things I find; things that are broken, tossed aside, hidden somewhere, unloved. It didn't start off as a way to recycle or be eco-friendly, although that's a huge bonus for me. No, It started out as a way for me to express myself and work within a modest budget. This quest for me started when I was a child tagging along to flea markets and yard sales or  when my elders would let me have a massively tangled bundle of forgotten treasures. On the really good days of hunting, I would snatch up a box lot of "junk" for pennies. It started with me having a love for the past, for things that no longer function in the modern world but still had value. I love anything vintage, antique, old whatever you want to call it.
I couldn't wait to get home and start figuring out exactly what I had. I  would find all sorts of really cool stuff. A bunch of sterling bangles, a rhinestone paste necklace, a large glass teardrop from a chandelier long since gone, old clip on earrings, beggar beads by the ton. I prob still have remnants of my earliest found treasures in my stash to this day. I still make trips to flea markets and been gifted many broken pieces and even find a few lost treasures on ebay. I have let many pieces over the years go to good homes and now they live on again, being reused and loved. And that makes me happy. I hope that you find value in things that maybe don't seem valuable on their surface. I believe that a lot of things can be reused and hope you take a second look at something you are ready to throw away and maybe find a new purpose for it. On my website there is a page of my portfolio items if you want to take a look at what I have made in the past.
http://denalistondesigns.com/portfoliocustom-design


8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that you repurpose your jewelry! Not to mention I prefer the look of vintage pieces over new. Reducing waste is one thing that I've been looking to improve but don't always think about it in the context of jewelry. I'll definitely keep your site in mind the next time I am looking for something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats great to hear. I will be at great festival coming up and will talk about it soon on my blog. The panhandle Earth day Festival in Shepherdstown WV on April 26th. A great time for families with lots of fun activities and music as well as other talented crafters.

      Delete
  2. I love to repurpose things and think it is wonderful that you create new treasures from old. Next time I am flea marketing and come across a box of tangled mess I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you upcycle! That's awesome. I'm a big fan of it. I know how you feel about flea markets. Occasionally, when we are on vacation and I see a flea market, I tell the hubby to stop. LOL - he's not fan. I'm glad you find good homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Mine is not too keen about them but he humors me. I cant believe what people throw away though. I am, perhaps, meant for a different era; not a fan of our throw away society. Glad that I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  4. I love that you are reusing what other people consider "junk". We have a trash pile in our backyard from the original owners of the house (the house was built in 1944) and I love looking through it for old glass jars and bottles. I just don't really know what to do with them besides display them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old bottles! They are great just to display. I especially love when things still have their original labels on them.

      Delete